Thursday, October 16, 2008

One Day In. I think.




Well, We're here.  

I'll go back to Wednesday, which is either earlier today, yesterday, or as an exhausted West Coast American in London at 4:00am local time might deem to call it, 2 days ago.

Wednesday started off with a whimper.  I had scheduled to install a chiller in a client's 150 gallon marine system that morning before work.  It all went wrong quickly as my carefully measured plan failed to take into consideration a small but vital fact.  The chiller sits in the clients garage awaiting my return and genius solution.  As for work, trying to tie up loose ends before leaving was complicated by my morning staff member getting pulled over and having complications with the law.  She finally arrived just before 3:00pm.  I left work, hit the AAA next to the store, which provided me 2 choices in electrical converters.  I purchased both at $5 each, but have learned that one style hasn't been seen since my host was a little boy.  Then off to the bank, a quick stop at another bank, and then home to try and get everything in order.  


As a side story, there were furnace issues last week at the house and at the renter's unit.  The Renter's have been resolved, but ours, alas has not.  The Dog and the House-sitter will have one another to keep each other warm.  I hope Mike produces a lot of heat.  Baby, I assure you, does not.

Anyway.  I did not know that a 10 day trip would require 5 pairs of shoes, six if you count mine,  but that is apparently the case.  Ironically, I have little room to poke fun at the number of shoes as 2 pair were pressed into service for holding 4 little bags, containing 4 female Brachyraphis episcopi.  (It's what happens when you ask your fish geek buddy who is hosting your stay in a foreign country if you can bring him anything)   4 suitcases and 2 carry ons later, we kissed the dog goodbye and Dave whisked us to the airport.  Where we were plenty early for our very small plane to Seattle.  Our connecting flight began general boarding as we wandered up to the gate, and after security double checked us, we were loaded and ready to go.  An Airbus A330 holds around 300 people, and we had about 50.  Once it was announced, people spread out.  Brenda took the row behind me and after dinner, managed to curl up and get about 5 hours of sleep.  She brought a pillow along and despite envious looks and a few comments from complete strangers suggesting she would end up loosing said pillow, it arrived safely.  I enjoyed the little monitors that showed our flight and flight statistics.  We spent hours flying over Canada with few places of note on the screen, Over Hudson Bay, a bit more of Canada, Southern Greenland, South of Iceland (Perhaps, it was cloudy)  and then down onto Scotland.  The last hour had us over Glasgow, Manchester and several other cities.  We flew over an enormous construction site that I guessed was for the Olympics.  I was right as Host Duncan confirmed that it was indeed the Olympic Stadium and that he was in fact one of the contractors working on it.  I wonder now if I have an in to those games in a few years?

Anyway.  Customs around the world must all have the same training and customs agents around the world must all, to a person, hate their jobs.  They give you a little card to fill out on the flight that the agent will ask for along with your passport.  They require it to be filled out completely.  One section asks for the address of where you will be staying.  That was information I didn't have.  The unpleasant and unhappy lady agent then asked for a name and phone number.  I had a name, but no phone number.  (Brenda is at this point looking at me with incredulous dread)  The agent then asked me what I was going to do if he isn't waiting for us?  How are we to contact him?  E-mail, we offered hopefully.  "We'll if he's suppose to be here, he's not likely to get an email now is he?"  Circular logic, to be sure, but the agent hated her job, so she let us go without further word or even a glance.  I actually could have gotten the information off my computer, but it didn't come to that.  Also, Duncan was in fact waiting for us.

Upon getting into the car I commented on how un-natural it felt to not have a steering wheel in front of you while sitting on the left side.  Duncan, ever helpful, offered to provide me one as he had one in the boot(trunk) for his 7 year old son.  I declined.  I then proceeded to suspend everything I know about driving for the next 20 minutes as cars whipped past us on the right and half a dozen times I thought we were turning into oncoming traffic when in fact it was only once.  Duncan says it wasn't, but he also didn't think the elevated portions of the side of the road were curbs.  I digress.

Duncan's house is quite amazing.  We are in one of the most affluent villages in all of England, and his 3,000 sp ft, 4 bedroom home was a "fixer".  Apparently, the plan is to sell it and move to a bigger house soon, as 4 bedrooms is just too small for he, his 'missus' Karen and the two children (2 and .5) who we will meet tomorrow morning/later today.  His parents care for them during the week, while Karen is in Manchester where she works.  She gets home tomorrow afternoon, and we'll be off to Nottingham and the convention.  Oh, as a side note, Duncan's house was once owned by the King of Ghana.  This may be our one brush with royalty on this trip.

After settling in a bit, Brenda went off to shower while Duncan and I ventured forth to get the legendary "Fish and Chips"  When we mentioned that fish and chips were on our to do list, Duncan's reaction was one of surprise.  "Really?"  and "Why?" were his initial responses.  He explained that there really wasn't "The best place to get fish and chips, as some days they would be alright and other days complete rubbish."  We sped off and ended up in a little hole in the wall which Duncan assured me had good fish more often then  bad.  I then had a choice.  Cod, Rock, Plaice or Haddock.  Knowing only 3 of the 4, I ordered boldly and we returned with Rock, Plaice and Haddock.  (FYI, Plaice is a rather attractive flat fish with orange spots)  The meal that at home would have been served as a "basket" with small pieces of fish and fries, here comes all wrapped up in paper, one big filet and the "Chips", or "homestyle flies" enjoying each other's company.  Add a little mango chutney, or alternately an outstanding home made apple chutney courtesy of Duncan's mother, and you have our first meal.  

Brenda scooped up the computer to send some emails while Duncan and I proceeded to the "Fish House".  3 of the 4 B. episcopi made the trip and we'll know how the 3 fared come morning.  Duncan hadn't had time to spruce up the fish house before our arrival, and he had been remodeling.  We tidied up a bit, mostly in preparation for bagging fish tomorrow.  I also got to see the Gambusia Duncan and I had caught in Texas last spring.  They seem to be doing well.

Then I got a quick shower and headed for bed.  5 hours of sleep later and I'm up and ready to go.  I bet this'll be like Cairo where I'm an early bird for about 3 days and then I'll crash.

Now to figure out how to post pictures...




No comments: